Monday, April 9, 2007

The New Town Studio Stereographs

Thomas J. Nevin maintained his photographic studio at New Town, near Hobart Tasmania from 1864 until 1888. He acquired a second studio and stock from Alfred Bock in 1867 at 140 Elizabeth St. Hobart, which he operated with partner Robert Smith until 1868, moving to the Hobart Town Hall in 1876 as Hall and Office Keeper. He took commissions from the Lands and Survey Department, and the Hobart Municipal Police Office from 1868, and resumed commercial photography at his New Town studio on termination of his residency at the Town Hall. He continued to work with police in the courts until ca. 1900.

The New Town stereographs include views of farms, schools, churches, houses, and mines at nearby Kangaroo Valley where the Nevin family resided, and portraits of groups, including visitors to the Lady Franklin Museum, Nevin family members and friends. The collection of Nevin’s stereographs held at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery mostly date from 1868 to the early 1870s.



A mining operation at New Town Hobart Tasmania 
Stereo by Thomas J. Nevin ca. 1870
TMAG Collection Ref: Q16826.11



Verso: A mining operation at New Town Hobart Tasmania 
Stereo by Thomas J. Nevin ca. 1870
TMAG Collection Ref: Q16826.11



New Town Public School 
Stereograph by Thomas J. Nevin ca, 1870
TMAG Collection Ref: 16826.27
Photos copyright © KLW NFC 2014 ARR



Verso: New Town Public School 
Stereograph by Thomas J. Nevin ca, 1870
TMAG Collection Ref: 16826.27
Photos copyright © KLW NFC 2014 ARR



A farmer and friend surveying his sown crop
Stereograph by Thomas J. Nevin ca, 1870
TMAG Collection Ref: Q1994.56.22